I conducted two research studies on the LinkedIn Job Search app.

Study 1

Our Question
This was a quick study that I conducted about 2 weeks before the release of the job search app. The goal of this study was to assess the overall usability of the app and to find any quick changes that could be made before the app's release. 

Recruiting and Study Design
To answer these questions in the quickest way possible, I recruited non-technical interns at LinkedIn and designed a usability study with specific tasks for the participants to go through. The studies were being live broadcasted to another room where designers, project managers and other stakeholders were watching. We discussed studies as a team after almost each study.

Findings
With a combination of these discussion and study analysis, I produced a deliverable with the main usability issues and recommended solutions which I then presented to the team. A certain amount of design recommendations were used to change the app right before its release .These changes included giving the user the choice to modify the auto-filled location field when searching for a job and replacing the 'Companies' tab with a 'Notifications' tab. 

 

Study 2

Our Question
I conducted the second study on the Job Search App a few weeks after it had been released. This study had two goals. The first was to understand the usability of the app once it had been used for a certain amount of time. The second was to understand what users perceived as the goal of the app - what they were actually using the app for.

Recruiting and Study Design
To answer these questions, we decided to try out a new tool: Usertesting.com. We decided to use Usertesting.com to be able to answer our questions as quick as possible since we were on a tight deadline, and to try out something new. Even though the Usertesting.com took care of recruiting, I created a screener that made sure there was an even distribution of users who had been using the app for some time and new users so as to get different perspectives on what the app was being used for. I also made sure there was an equal amount of users who lived in urban and rural areas, since I hypothesized that the job search would look very different in these two very different types of locations. I came up with a list of loose yet goal-oriented tasks to get an understanding of both the usability of the app and what users were actually using the app for. I also created a post-test survey to better answer the second question. Participants then went through these tasks while recording their interactions. 

Analysis and Findings
Since all studies were remote, they had been recorded and uploaded onto usertesting.com by users. I used these for analysis and presented themes and design recommendations to the team, with the help of video clips. The team then chose which design recommendations to integrate into future updates of the app. The study also led to larger questions such as what type of job applicants the LinkedIn Job Search app is actually designed for.

Contact me to find out more about these two studies and to hear about the other projects that I worked on at LinkedIn.